Tuesday, November 03, 2009

Driving Karma

I like driving, always have done. Ever since I had my licence and got used to doing longer journeys I've often found I can relax by hitting the road with something good to listen to and possibly a particular direction in mind.

Part of my enjoyment of driving, particularly good country roads, is to drive them at the limit. Not speeding, not dangerously, but if there's a decent straight bit of tarmac, with the occasional interesting bend then I want to be at the limit and it can at times be a bit frustrating when stuck behind someone going significantly slower than that.

Strangely I don't enjoy my morning commute all that much. Yes it's country roads which are interesting to drive so I guess it might be a case of familiarity breeds contempt but I actually believe it's because I get stuck behind a slow driver more days than not.

Today however was very different, on the way in the roads were clear and I felt like I had the road to myself and mentioned this to my colleagues at work. I may even have suggested that my thoughts to all the other drivers in Hampshire to get out of my way had finally worked and that karma might come back to bite me.

Turns out I may well have been right. About an hour before I would normally consider leaving an email arrived which indicated my normal route home was closed. Fair enough, I'll take the motorway, it'll just mean working slightly later than normal to avoid the worst of the jams. Then it turned out that the motorway was jammed due to a broken down lorry. This meant that my smooth journey in was going to be complemented with a slow, queue laden journey home.

Fortunately it was as bad as it could have been, but certainly wasn't as interesting, and the motorway definitely crawled in places. Looking back on both journeys I don't think that they're going to necessarily change how I view driving on the road, especially my commute, but perhaps I'll be just a little less smug if it's a good run in.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Maybe all the other drivers in Hampshire had been warned to stay out of your way?

I really like driving - I like feeling independent and able to get myself anywhere - but I do dislike other drivers. Particularly in traffic jams.