Monday, November 02, 2009

A post about work

I don't often talk about my job in any great detail, mostly because I get the impression it wouldn't be that interesting for anyone that isn't in the trade, and because I can get away with saying I work in computing, or that I work for IBM.

There have been several changes in what I do in the 6 years I been working there full time but I've stuck with the same team because it's always provided a challenge, whether that's going to Poughkeepsie for a month to write a book, or being put in charge of a group of people and told to produce something by the deadline.

The latest 'opportunity' (which I'm sure is management speak for more work) to be sent my way is to act as a design architect for one of the systems we use. From a personal note, this is very cool, the sort of role I've wanted since I started, and without sounding too bigheaded I think it's a job I can do well.

However there is scope to get things horribly wrong. While I may be in charge of the direction things take, I can't micromanage every little detail of the work, nor can I reject something because it isn't exactly how I'd have done it myself.

After a week in the role I've a list of requirements and plenty of ideas, just need to sort out how and when they get done. Good times.

1 comment:

Rakhman said...

Grats. I look forward to your impending explosion due to too much workplace stress with great trepidation!